We were shocked to read recent research showing that young people in their twenties and thirties with mental health conditions are up to three times more likely to have a heart attack or stroke.

This is according to a recent European Journal of Preventive Cardiology study examining more than 6 million people. [1] One in eight people in the 20 to 39-year-old category also had some mental health condition, including depression, anxiety and insomnia.

What The Study Shows

Researchers examined the association between mental health disorders in adults aged 20 to 39 and their risk of developing myocardial infarction and ischemic stroke.

More than 13% of participants had at least one mental health condition. Among those, nearly 48% had anxiety, 21% had depression, 20% had insomnia, almost 28% had somatic system disorder, and more than 2% had substance use disorder. Less than 2% had bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, an eating disorder, personality disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder.

Researchers followed the subjects until December 2018 for new-onset myocardial infarction and stroke. During a median follow-up of more than seven years, there were 16,133 myocardial infarctions and strokes.

In concluding their findings, researchers discovered that participants with any mental health disorder had a 58% higher likelihood of myocardial infarction and a 42% greater risk of stroke than those with no mental health condition.

The Health Impact of Stress

Stress is one of the critical factors that the study found can affect mental health issues. Health experts have also highlighted the link between mental health conditions and physical health problems due to biological factors such as inflammation and hormonal imbalance caused by chronic stress and other mental health concerns.

A high-stress level can produce high amounts of cortisol and adrenaline in the body. Over time, this can activate the brain’s fight or flight mode, causing emotional and physical fatigue.

The constant distress of a mental disorder can also take a toll on heart health. When the heart muscle is constantly being put under stress, this can weaken the heart, but it can also put your body in a higher category for a heart attack or a stroke.

Stress can also trigger unhealthy habits, making you more likely to overindulge in poor foods. All of this can increase the risk of cardiovascular issues.

Learning To Relax Is Key

Suppose stress is the primary factor in worsening emotional and heart health problems. Relaxation is a simple solution that may help to reduce its impact.

Relaxation Tips To Help You Relax…

One of the easiest ways to relax your mind is to practice stress-reduction strategies such as mindfulness or meditation as part of your daily routine.

Some of the best ways to relax include:

  1. Take a slow deep breath in through the nose, hold for a count of four, hold for two, and then exhale for a count of four
  2. Go for a walk somewhere in nature, ideally a forest or near a beach
  3. Enjoy a bath with added Magnesium Flakes for total body relaxation
  4. Spend time doing a creative activity that you enjoy
  5. Practice 5-10 minutes of meditation to cultivate peace of mind

Nutrients To Support Your Mental Health

At Naturally Healthy News, we recommend giving yourself the proper nutrients to maintain a healthy mind and body, as these form a solid foundation for optimum mental health.

Some of the best recommendations we’ve found for mental health support include…

Lithium Orotate

This is a dietary supplement that supports mental health in various ways. It is believed to help stabilise mood, decrease irritability, and provide a calming effect, which can be helpful for individuals dealing with stress, anxiety, depression, and bipolar disorder.

Lithium Orotate is also believed to promote brain health by increasing the brain’s grey matter, reducing inflammation, and protecting against oxidative stress. Additionally, it may assist with memory and cognition, making it a popular choice for those who want to support their overall brain function. [2]


SAM-e (S-adenosylmethionine) is a natural compound that belongs to amino acids, and it plays a crucial role in producing chemicals like serotonin and dopamine, which regulate our moods. SAM-e supplements can be beneficial if low levels of these chemicals are caused by stress, nutritional deficiency, or lack of sleep.

L-Tryptophan and L-Theanine

Several studies have demonstrated that certain nutrients, including L-Tryptophan, may elicit positive changes in one’s mental state and reduce symptoms of stress and depression.

In a small study, high-Tryptophan dietary intake led to significant mood improvements compared to those on a low-tryptophan diet. Likewise, consuming Tryptophan-rich foods seems to diminish symptoms of depression and anxiety. [3]

Additionally, controlled trials have indicated that L-Theanine contributes to relaxation by lowering stress and anxiety levels. Specifically, five randomised controlled studies have shown that L-Theanine intake reduces stress and anxiety in individuals subjected to stressful situations.


N-Acetylcysteine (N.A.C.) possesses the potential to be an effective therapy for various mental health disorders. This compound elevates glutathione levels, an antioxidant, in the brain. This process can assist in reducing inflammation and protecting brain cells.

N.A.C. demonstrates benefits for individuals suffering from depressive, anxious, obsessive-compulsive, and substance use disorders, as evidenced by research conducted on the matter [4, 5].

The findings of these studies show that N.A.C. can alleviate symptoms of depression and anxiety, enhance cognitive function, and even diminish addictive cravings and substance use. [6]


As an essential mineral, Magnesium is involved in over 600 enzymatic reactions in the body, including those that regulate mood and stress response. Magnesium is critical for properly functioning the nervous system, including transmitting impulses between nerve cells, which affect mood and cognitive function.

Research suggests Magnesium may help with brain functions that reduce stress and anxiety levels and improve sleep quality. Deficiencies in magnesium have been linked to symptoms such as anxiety and depression, as well as sleep disorders and fatigue. [7]

To Summarise…

We hope these nutrient recommendations give you practical solutions that can support your mental health and overall well-being.

Remember, don’t struggle in silence. If you’re suffering due to mental health problems, reach out and ask for help.

[1] https://academic.oup.com/eurjpc/advance-article/doi/10.1093/eurjpc/zwad118/7146260
[2]  https://eprints.ncl.ac.uk/file_store/production/288298/56DB219E-18B6-4BAD-B6BC-251E05AE6AB0.pdf
[3] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4393508/
[4] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3044191/
[5] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5993450/
[6] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5452159/
[7] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5452159/


Recommended Examples from our sponsor,
Good Health Naturally

Lithium Balance™

Lithium Orotate can support balanced moods and healthy brain chemical responses. Suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans. 200 tablets.

Shop Now

SAM-e Plus+™

S-adenosyl-l-methionine is decisive in liver health, amongst other bodily processes. It is recommended for optimal mood balancing and healthy joint support—60 vegetable capsules.

Shop Now


A unique formula of L-Tryptophan, L-Theanine, Vitamin B3 and B6 to support stress relief, along with sleep and relaxation. Suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans. 90 capsules.

Shop Now

NAC – 600mg Capsules

N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) is a supplement form of cysteine. NAC bonds with glutamine and glycine to form glutathione, a powerful antioxidant. Glutathione performs many functions throughout the body, including helping to maintain your immune system. NAC has also been found to provide mental health benefits. 60 capsules.

Shop Now

Ancient Magnesium Bath Flakes Ultra

Ultra-pure Magnesium Flakes with OptiMSM, the world’s purest MSM, for maximum cellular absorption. It is recommended for relaxing and easing muscle tension, aches, and pains.

It may reduce stress and anxiety levels, along with improving sleep quality. Delivers an improved immune response. It can be used in a foot bath or for a regular bath. Suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans. 750g bag. **Available in the UK store only.**

Shop Now