Health News (Week 49 – 2018)
By Robert Redfern
SAD or Seasonal Adjustment Disorder is a real condition and no one knows better than me. Since moving back to the UK from Sunny Spain to just 8 hours of daylight, I am returning to using my favorite formulation, Emotion Nutrition. I just searched back in my newsletters and cannot find any previous mention of SAD, and for this, I apologize.
If you have been suffering, then ‘Emotion Nutrition’ is the solution and it really does work for SAD and mild depression (especially for me). Below are the ingredients and the studies. Further down this newsletter is the bigger plan for other mental issues such as anxiety and complexion depression.
What makes Emotion Nutrition™ different?
These well-studied herbs and nutrients make it possible:
- St. John’s Wort: This potent medicinal herb most commonly used as a natural antidepressant may also relieve symptoms of PMS, menopause, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and anxiety. Some studies show that using the herb can support addiction recovery by reducing cravings and withdrawal symptoms.
- B Vitamins: Vitamins B1, B3, B5, B6, and B12 are known stress-relievers and can help maintain healthy nervous system function. Since these vitamins can’t be stored in our bodies, we need a daily supply from diet and supplements to stay balanced and relaxed.
- Ginkgo Biloba: Without any reported side effects in over 34 human studies published since 1975, ginkgo biloba is a medicinal herb that supports improved brain health, anxiety, and energy.
- Magnesium: It’s the calming mineral many anxiety and restless leg sufferers swear by. Magnesium may relieve insomnia, headaches, muscle cramps, anxiety, eczema, and mood imbalance and could also ease depression better than pharmaceutical medicine.
- Folate: Folate, or vitamin B9, can be found in fortified foods, and yet, few people can effectively absorb it in its synthetic form. Quatrefolic® is the most bioavailable form of folic acid that can be easily broken down into metabolically active 5-MTHF, the only form that can cross the blood-brain barrier to help synthesize norepinephrine, serotonin, dopamine and improve depression.
- L-glutamine: An anti-stress amino acid, L-glutamine helps regulate the immune system and strengthen the gut barrier to minimize the effects of anxiety, depression, and outside stressors. L-glutamine is likely to be depleted during stressful times, and a daily supplement may restore mental balance.
- L-tyrosine: L-tyrosine is another potent amino acid that functions as a building block for norepinephrine, dopamine, epinephrine, and thyroid hormones. L-tyrosine is adaptogenic and can help the body function better, and with less fatigue, under stress. The amino acid may also significantly improve mood in cold, dark winter climates.
I didn’t include the essential Vitamin D3 as I already have it in many other formulations. Be clear, I take 5000 to 10,000iu of D3 in my supplements every day and especially in the dark winter months.
Even with extensive research, pharmaceutical drugs’ effects on the brain are still poorly understood, and many mental health sufferers turn to nutritional medicine. As doctors often advise their patients when taking a new mood-balancing medication: Every brain’s chemistry is different. Every person may have a unique reaction to a drug medication, for better or worse.
For many people, taking research-backed nutrients to support mental health puts their minds at ease. Safe, natural, and chemical-free nutrients that have been used for centuries in ancient medicine can bring balance to the mind without harming the body.
- E. F. G. Naninck, J. E. Oosterink, K.-Y. Yam, L. P. de Vries, H. Schierbeek, J. B. van Goudoever, R.-N. Verkaik-Schakel, J. A. Plantinga, T. Plosch, P. J. Lucassen, A. Korosi. Early micronutrient supplementation protects against early stress-induced cognitive impairments. The FASEB Journal, 2016; DOI: 10.1096/fj.201600834R.
- Li S, Zhang X, Fang Q, Zhou J, Zhang M, Wang H, Chen Y, Xu B, Wu Y, Qian L, Xu Y. Ginkgo biloba extract improved cognitive and neurological functions of acute ischaemic stroke: a randomized controlled trial. Stroke Vasc Neurol. 2017 Dec 18;2(4):189-197. doi:
- Tarleton EK, Littenberg B, MacLean CD, Kennedy AG, Daley C. Role of magnesium supplementation in the treatment of depression: A randomized clinical trial. PLoS One. 2017 Jun 27;12(6):e0180067. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0180067. eCollection 2017.
- Miller AL. The methylation, neurotransmitter, and antioxidant connections between folate and depression. Altern Med Rev. 2008 Sep;13(3):216-26. Review.
- Bowtell, J.L., Gelly, K., Jackman, M.L., Patel, A., Simeoni, M., Rennie, M.J. (1999) Effect of oral glutamine on whole body carbohydrate storage during recovery from exhaustive exercise, Journal Of Applied Physiology (pp. 1770-1777).
- Palinkas LA, Reedy KR, Smith M, Anghel M, Steel GD, Reeves D, Shurtleff D, Case HS, Van Do N, Reed HL. Psychoneuroendocrine effects of combined thyroxine and triiodothyronine versus tyrosine during prolonged Antarctic residence. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2007 Dec;66(5):401-17.
- Linde K. St. John’s wort – an overview. Forsch Komplementmed. 2009 Jun;16(3):146-55. doi: 10.1159/000209290. Epub 2009 Apr 2. Review.
Anxiety, Brain Fog, Mental Fatigue and Depression
All conditions have a cause and that includes anxiety, brain fog, mental fatigue, and depression. Poor nutrition is likely to be the prime cause.
There is no more possibility of, ‘pulling yourself together’, than, it is for someone to say the same about arthritis or lung disease. You will always need to deal with the cause.
These conditions come and go in cycles and my experience is that these periods coincide with changes in the weather and certain times of the year when the diet goes wrong, including stopping critical minerals.
We are going through one of those periods just now and I have numerous emails asking for help with these problems. There are many causes including yeast, fungus, infections and specific missing nutrients which cause many of the most identifiable problems with these conditions, and especially, inflammation.
Inflammation in these cases is likely caused by infection and it is definitely identified by researchers to be implicated in these conditions. Serrapeptase and Curcumin are both needed as anti-inflammatories as well as Curcumin as this is an anti-fungal. Readers will know that Curcumin is a good anti-fungal as well as being an anti-inflammatory.
The new BrainPower Curcumin/Resveratrol formula is particularly exciting as it absorbs in the mouth and into the throat and head without the long trip via the digestive tracts. To get the best benefit, hold this supplement in your mouth until it is completely absorbed.
Also needed is the super strong SerraEnzyme 250,000IU, to help deal with this inflammation. As well as the brain, the whole body will be affected by this inflammation and you may not think about it, but the general run-down feeling is caused by this inflammation.
Critical for brain health is B12. There is an epidemic of B12 deficiency among the population and especially amongst seniors. Some seniors are thought to have mild dementia when it is really a B12 deficiency. Of course, fungal problems can also be part of the symptoms of dementia since studies show that fungus is always present in Alzheimer’s.
The doctor’s solution to B12 deficiency is not very useful as it involves a monthly injection which will only last for a week at best before the B12 is deficient again. B4Health contains B12 and a whole raft of essential nutrients for the brain. Since it is also liposomal, taken twice per day, and held in the mouth until absorbed, it will give a consistent level of B12 and other critical nutrients to the brain.
Prescript-Biotics – Prescript-Biotics is especially important to support the immune system to defeat the build-up of fungus which in most cases starts its journey to the brain from the digestive tract. 80% of the immune system is powered by healthy Probiotics in the digestive tract. Prescript-Biotics can be taken in high doses to start with, but later can still protect with as little as one capsule per week.
The mineral Lithium is gaining popularity as a supplement. The studies for anti-aging of the brain is one reason but the main reason is balanced moods. I have taken it now for 10 years straight and will never stop.
Taking Krill Oil may also support your mental and emotional health. Omega 3 fatty acids such as DHA and EPA may influence serotonin levels. Recent data shows that DHA, EPA and ALA found in krill oil and oily fish improved brain signaling mechanisms and levels of brain chemicals associated with positive mood.
What Can You Do Right Now?
Drink 6 x 500ml glasses of water with a 1/3 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in each glass over the day. Sip it slowly, and swish around the mouth as you drink it. Bicarbonate of soda can initially help deal with Fungus.
The plan that I follow daily to keep fungus and infection at bay includes:
- Follow a full daily exercise program including walking and exercises.
- Sitting down for less than 3 hours per day, so stand or walk or even lay down if you need to rest.
- Take the 130 important vitamins and minerals in Active Life which can and do help prevent many diseases. You still need magnesium oil and iodine supplements as well.
- Drink at least 6x500ml of pure water with a pinch of bicarbonate soda in each glass.
- Eat a healthy diet, high in green vegetables, dark-skinned fruits, nuts, seeds, seaweeds, and fats.
- Stop eating unhealthy foods such as grains, cereals, processed foods, sugary foods and drinks, processed junk meats, eggs and farmed fish that are all fed on GMO soy/cereals.
- Detoxing on a regular basis is essential as this helps to clear some of the toxins and chemicals that are permeating modern life.
- Include Rock Salt in your diet. Rock salt is created in ancient sea beds and has more minerals than modern salt offerings. You need at least 3 teaspoons per day and more in hot sweaty weather.
- Build determination to stick with the plan and stop listening to the failed Pharma medical system.
Depression/SAD can be dealt with without drugs, but of course, if you have a serious health or Depression problem then contact my Health Coaches and ask about a Depression Plan: www.MyGoodHealthClub.com