Ashwagandha is an Ayurvedic herb that has been demonstrated to have good results in lowering cortisol and balancing thyroid hormones. This powerful herb can boost energy and focus and popular research has backed its effects. Here are some of the best reasons to love Ashwagandha…
- Improved Focus and Better Brain Health. As we get older, oxygen supply to the brain cells starts declining and this can lead to memory loss and poor brain function. Ashwagandha can increase oxygen supply to the brain and a study involving test subjects found that this is because of the compound herb known as withanolide-A it contains.
- Anti-Cancer Effects. The flavonoids and alkaloids in Ashwagandha target cancer cells and slow their growth. Withanolide-A slows down cancer cells and their growth, by suppressing gene expression. There are also studies that show they can even cause the early death of cancer cells.
- Lowered Stress and Better Energy. Ashwagandha is excellent for combating stress and maintaining normal levels of adrenal hormones. The stress hormone known as cortisol is made within the body and can lead to anxiety, depression and obesity if left uncontrolled.
- Lowered Risk of Heart Disease. Ashwagandha contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that can be very beneficial for preventing the oxidation of cholesterol. This has a good effect on lowering the risk of heart disease and stroke. One study on test subjects has showed that Ashwagandha lowers this risk of heart disease and stroke, due to eating this herb.
- May Support Weight Loss. As Ashwagandha can help with lowering stress hormones it is believed to be beneficial at supporting weight loss. Choosing to supplement with Ashwagandha could contribute towards lowering cortisol, a stress hormone that has been linked with weight gain. One recent scientific study has shown that Ashwagandha can balance and optimise hormones and this is key to understanding weight loss.